JSS3 English Language Scheme of Work for Second Term: This lesson note covers the following topics.
1. Revision of last term’s examination. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development- Revision of prefixes, English Structure, Expressing exception using except, except for, but, apart from, without, e.g. (a) we are all students apart from John (b) everyone was present but for my friend. Composition- Narrative essay “My most memorable day”Speech work– consonants /o/ and /t/ e.g. thin, tin, thick, tick, Literature-In-English-use recommended text.
2. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (suffixes – noun derivations: -ness, -ment, -er, ship- action, -ant, -hood,-al e.g. mildness, friendship, inhabitant, etc.), English structure – conjunctions, Composition – report writing– “the school’s Inter- house sports” Speech work – consonant contrast /t/, /s/ e.g. thumb, sum, mouth, mouse, path, pass, etc, Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
3. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (suffixes – verb derivations:- -ify, -ize, -en, e.g. popularize, dignify, lighten)- English structure interjections, Composition – article writing, Speech work – consonant contrast /s/, /z/ e.g. mission, vision, pressure, pleasure, etc, Literature-In-English – use of recommended text.
4. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (suffixes – adjective derivations:- -ful, -ment, -al, -less, -ish, -ive, e.ggrateful, intentional, faithless, childish, attentive)- English structure–question tags, Composition– informal letter e.g. “A letter to a friend” Speech work – Nasal sounds /m/, /n/, /g/ e.g. man, nap, song, Literature-In-English – use of recommended text.
5. Comprehension/Vocabulary development (word associated with value of judgment e.g. delicious, unpleasant etc)- English structure – Personal and possessive pronouns, Composition – Formal letter – “A letter of invitation to a programme” Speech work – vowels /i/ and /i:/, Literature-In-English, recommended text.
6. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Words associated with moral appraisal e.g. callous, generous, faithful etc)- English Structure – reflexive and relative pronouns, Composition – Expository essay “Why students fail examinations” Speech Work – Vowels /a:/ and /z/ e.g. bath, birth, arm, earn, farm, firm etc, Literature-In-English, Use recommended text.
7. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (synonyms – words similar in meaning/context to holy e.g pious, religious, godly, God fearing etc)- English Structure – indefinite and reciprocal pronouns, Composition – Descriptive essay – “My Schools inter-house sports” Speech Work – Vowels / /, / :/ and / / e.g cot, court, come, Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
8. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Synonyms– words similar in meaning/context to active e.g. Agile, energetic, quick, dynamic etc)- English Structure, Demonstrative Pronouns, Composition, Argumentative essay “Teachers are better than farmers in a society” Speech Work – Vowels /u/, and /u:/ e.g. pull, pool, soup, sue etc. Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
9. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Synonyms – words similar in meaning/context to callous e.g. unsympathetic, unfeeling etc)- English Structure – active voice e.g. I bought the dog, my parent bought my books.Composition, Expository writing (story writing), Background/ introduction, Speech Work – Vowels / / e.g. among,
above, about etc, Literature-In-English – use recommended text.
10. Comprehension/Vocabulary Development (Synonyms – words similar in meaning/context to law e.g. rule, regulation, legislation etc)- Structure passive voice e.g. the dog was bought by me, my books were bought by my parents, Composition expository writing proper (story writing ii) – (choose a relevant topic), Speech Work – revise the diphthongs, Literature-In-English – (use recommended text).
11-12. Revision and Examination
13. Examination (cont’d).