SS2 English Language Scheme of Work for Second Term: This lesson note covers the following topics.
1. (i) Revision of Last Term’s Work and Examination Questions
(ii) Structure – Use of Possessive Apostrophe
(iii) Comprehension (Reading to Grasp Main Points): Unit 9; Stock Exchange, Effective English, pg. 134 – 136
Writing (Narrative) “My SS 1 Experience.”
2. Comprehension: (Reading to Grasp Sentence Paragraph Transition): Unit 10 – Nothing Gets Done. Effective English, page 150
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with the Press
Structure: Punctuation Marks (Comma, Semi-colon, Question Mark, Colon)
3. Essay Writing (Formal Letters) Letter of Complaints
Structure – Sentence Types According to Functions
Speech Work – Diphthongs
Summary – How to Answer Summary Questions
4. Essay Writing: (Informal Letters) Letters to a Friend in Another Town.
Speech Work: Diphthongs /ei, ai, au, ᴐi/
Comprehension (Reading for Implied Meaning): unit II – Moral Behaviour, Effective English, page 168
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Environment.
5. Summary Writing: Wole Soyinka, Effective English, pg 158 – 159
Structure: Kinds of Pronouns
Speech Work: Rhyme Scheme
6. Comprehension: (Reading for Critical Evaluation) Communication; Effective English page 181
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Nation Building
Structure: Introduction to Sequence of Tenses
Speech Work: Diphthongs /Iә, eә, әƱ, Ʊә/
7. Structure: More About Phrasal Verbs
Comprehension: unit 12 Advancement in Technology, Effective English, pg 109 – 111
Vocabulary Development: Technology
Speech Work: Comparison of /tᶘ/ and /ᶘ/, /ʤ/ and /ʒ/
8. Essay Writing: Articles
Structure: Active and Passive Structures
Register: Words Associated with Cultural Entertainment
9. Structure: Making Uncountable Nouns Countable
Summary: Writing Answers to Model Summary Passage
Vocabulary Development: Noting Words Commonly Misspelt.
Writing: Writing Semi-Formal Letter.
11. & 12 Examination
1. Montgomery et al: Effective English for SS 2 ( Main Text) Evanz Publishers, Ibadan
2. Ogunsanya et al: Countdown to SSCE, Evans Publisher, Ibadan.
3. Onuigbo S.M: Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Africana Publishers, Enugu.
4. Ayo Banjo et al: New Oxford Secondary English Course SS 2. University Press PLC, Ibadan
5. FoluAgoi: Towards Effective Use of English. A grammar of Modern English
6. Ayo Akano: Maclimillan Mastery English Language for Senior Secondary Schools, Macmillan Nigeria Publishrs limited, Ibadan
7. Ken Mebele et al: Goodbye to Failure in English for Senior Schools, Book 2, Treasure Publishers LTD, Lagos.
8. Benson O. A Oluikpe et al: Intensive English for Senior Secondary Schools, 2 Africanal Publishers LTD, Onitsha.
9. Oxford, Advanced Learners Dictionary.
10. WAEC Past Questions.