SS3 Mathematics Scheme of Work for First and Second Term: These lesson notes cover the following topics.
First Term Scheme:
1. Theory of Logarithms: Laws of Logarithms and application of Logarithmic equations and indices
2. Surds: Rational and Irrational numbers; basic operations with surds and conjugate of binomial surds
3. Application of surds to trigonometrical ratios. Draw the graphs of sine and cosine for angles 00< x < 3600
4. Matrices and Determinant: Types, order, Notation, basic operations, transpose, determinants of 2 x 2 and 3 x 3 matrices, Inverse of 2 x 2 matrix and application to simultaneous equation
5. Linear and Quadratic Equations: Application, one linear-one quadratic, word problems leading to one linear-one quadratic
6. Surface areas and volume of spheres and hemispheres (solid and hollow sphere and hemisphere)
7. Longitude and Latitude: Identification of longitude and latitude, North and south, meridian, equator. Calculation of length of parallel of latitude.
8. Longitude and Latitude: Calculation of distance between two points on the latitude, longitude, time or speed of aircraft
9. Arithmetic Finance: Simple Interest, Compound Interest, Annuities, Depreciation and Amortization
10. Revision of the term’s work
• New General Mathematics for SS book 3 by J.B Channon
• Essential Mathematics for SS book 3
• Mathematics Exam Focus
• Waec and Jamb past Questions
Second Term Scheme:
- Review of first term work: (i) Bonds and debentures (ii) Shares (iii) Rates (iv) Income tax and (v) Value added tax.
- CO-ORDINATE GEOMETRY OF STRAIGHT LINE: Cartesian coordinate (ii) plotting the linear graph (iii) determine the distance between two coordinate points. (iv) Finding the mid-point of the line joining two point (v) practical application of coordinate geometry.(vi) Gradient and intercept of a straight line.
- COORDINATE GEOMETRY OF A STRAIGHT LINE CONTINEUS: (I) Define gradient and intercepts of a line. (ii) Find the angle between two intersecting straight lines (iii) Application of linear graphs to real life student.
- DIFFERENTIATION OF ALGEBRAIC FUNCTION: (I) Meaning of differentiation/ derived function (ii) differentiation from first principle (iii) standard derivative of some basic functions.
- DIFFERENTIATION OF ALGEBRAIC FUNCTION CONTINEUS: Rules of differentiation such as: (a) Sum and difference (b) Product rule (c) Quotient rule. (d) Application of real situation such as Maximal, Minima velocity, Acceleration and rate of change.
- INTEGRATION AND EVALUATION SIMPLE ALGEBRAIC FUNCTION: (i) definition (ii) Method of integration: (a) substitution method (b) partial fraction method (c) part. (iii) Application of integration in calculating area under the curve (iv) Use of Simpson’s rule to find the area under the curve.
7-12. Revision and Mock Examination.