SS2 Chemistry Scheme of Work for First Term: This lesson note covers the following topics.
1. The Periodic Table
• Historical Development of the Periodic Table/Periodic Law
• Features of the Periodic Table.
• Periodic Classification into Blocks and Families.
• Families of Elements.
2. The Periodic Trend
• The Periodic Properties of Elements: Atomic size, Ionic size,Ionization Energy, Electron Affinity, Electronegativity down the group and across the period.
• Diagonal Relationship in the Properties of Elements in the Periodic Table.
3. Types of Reaction/Redox Reactions
• Definition of Oxidation and Reduction.
• Relationship between Oxidation Number and IUPAC Naming.
4. Oxidizing and Reducing Agents
• Identification of Oxidizing and Reducing Agents
• Balancing of Redox Equations in Acidic and Alkaline Medium.
5. Ionic Theory: Distinguish between:
• Electrovalent and Covalent Compounds.
• Electrolytes and Non-electrolytes.
• Weak and Strong Electrolytes.
• Conductors and Non –conductors.
• Meaning of Electrolysis
• Definition of Terms
• Preferential Discharge of Ions during Electrolysis.
7. Electrolysis of Specified Electrolytes
• Acidified water
• Brine solution
• Copper (II) tetraoxosulphate (VI) solution.
• Uses of Electrolysis
8. Faraday’s Laws of Electrolysis
• Faraday First and Second laws of electrolysis.
• Verification of Faraday’s Laws of Electrolysis.
• Calculations based on Faraday’s Laws.
9. Electrochemical Cells
• Electrolytic and Electrochemical Cells with their differences.
• Standard Electrode Potential.
• Drawing and Writing of Cell Diagrams.
• Calculation of e.m.f of a Cell.
10. Application of Electrochemical Cells
• Distinction between Primary and Secondary Cells
• Types of Electrochemical Cells.
• New School Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by O.Y Ababio
• New System Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by T. Y. Toon et al
• S.S.C.E Past Questions and Answers on Chemistry
• U.T.M.E Past Questions and Answers on Chemistry