JSS1 Physical and Health Education Scheme of Work for First, Second and Third Term: These lesson notes cover the following topics.
|1 & 2||MEANING OF PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION|
|3||PHYSICAL FITNESS AND BODY CONDITIONING PROGRAMMES|
|4||CHARACTERISTICS OF PHYSICALLY FIT PERSON
-THE IMPORTANCE OF PHYSICAL FITNESS
|5||EXERCISE TO DEVELOP STRENTH ENDURANCE AND FLEXIBILITY|
|6||SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHILE PERFORMING EXERCISES|
-CHARACTERISTICS OF A HEALTHY PERSON
|8 & 9||MEANING OF SEWAGE AND REFUSE
-METHOD OF SEWAGE AND REFUSE DISPOSAL
|10||SOURCES OF WATER SUPPLY|
1. Revision of first term work.
2. Aquatic sports.; ( a)Meaning and types of aquatic sports e .g. regatta; water polo, canoeing, fishing,(b )Facilities and equipment for aquatic sports( c) safety measures in aquatic sports(d) skills in aquatic spots (d) skills in aquatic sports.
3. First aid and safety education,; Meaning of First Aid and safety education ( b) contents of First Aid Box (c) of Qualities of a good first aider.
4. Personal school and community health. (a) Determinant of health .(1)Hereditary (11)Environment (111)Life style (b)Characteristics of a healthy person (1)Ability to work without easily fatigued (Ability to comprehend mental fatigue (III)Resistance to infection.
5. Sewage and refuse Disposal. (a) Meaning of sewage and Refuse (b) Methods of Sewage disposal—open dump water system V IP latrine others(c) Methods of refuse disposal –Open dump, incinerator, composting; controlled tipping others.
6. Water supply .. Sources of water supply rain ,bore hole , well, spring ,stream’, lake ;river,pipe borne water (b)Qualities of good water supply .Odourless., Tasteless colourless, Free from pathogens and acceptable mineral composition
7. Meaning and components of physical fitness.(a)Meaning of physical fitness (b)Components of physical fitness (c) Characteristics of physical fit person (d)Importance of physical fitness; (e)Health related components Performance related components
8. Fitness exercises (a) Exercises to develop endurance and, flexibility (b) Precautions while performing exercises.
9. Fundamental human movement.(a) locomotor movements—walking jogging ,running ,jumping skipping, hopping (b) Non locomotor movements. ;stretching, bending ,lifting, pushing, twisting,
10. Meaning and components of Recreation, (a) definition of recreation ,..leisure and rest (b)Components of recreation___-(a )indoor, recreation( b) outdoor recreation.(c)Types of activities under the two components of recreation.
1. Recreation, Leisure and Dance Activities
2. Importance of Food
3. Athletics (Field Events)
Discus and Shot put
4. Basic Skills in Shot put and Discus
5. Practical Demonstration of Skills in Shot put and Discus
6 & 7 Ball Games: (Volleyball)
8. Practical Demonstration Of Skills in Volleyball
9. History of Soccer
10. Practical Demonstration of Skills in Soccer
11. Revision / Examination
i. Essentials of Physical and Health Education for J.S.S 1
ii. Physical and Health Education Hand Book for J.S.S 1