SS1 Chemistry Scheme of Work for First, Second and Third Term: These lesson notes cover the following topics.
1 INTRODUCTION TO CHEMISTRY
2 NATURE OF MATTER
4 MOLECULES AND ATOMICITY
5 PARTICULATE NATURE OF MATTER
6 THE RELATIVE ATOMIC MASSES OF ELEMENTS
8 IUPAC NOMENCLATURE OF CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS
10 PRACTICALS ON SEPERATION OF MIXTURES
1. Revision/Introduction to the mole concept: Molar volume of gases, Avogadro’s number, Percentage of element in a compound.
Writing and Balancing Chemical Equations.
2-3. Stoichiometry of Reactions: Calculation of Masses of Reactants and Products,
Calculation of Volume of Reacting Gases.
Empirical and Molecular formulae.
4-5. Chemical Laws and their Verification: Law of Conservation of Mass, Law of Constant Composition, Law of Multiple Proportion.
6-7. Chemical Combinations: Electrovalent Bond: Properties of Electrovalent
Compounds, Covalent Bond: Properties of Covalent Compounds. Other Types of Bonding
8-9. TheKinetic theoryof Matter and the Gas Laws: Boyle’s Law, Charles’ Law, Ideal Gas Equation, Dalton’s Law of Partial Pressure.
10. Avogadro’s law, Gay-Lussac’s Law of Combining Volumes, Graham’s Law of Diffusion.
• New Chemistry for Senior Secondary School by Osei Yaw Ababio; U.T.M.E Past Questions and Answers.
• Practical Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by Godwin Ojokuku
• Outline Chemistry for Schools & Colleges by Ojiodu C.C.
• Chemistry Pass Questions for S.S.C.E and UTME.
1. Revision /Acids: Properties, Preparation and Uses. pH Scale
2-3. Bases: Properties, Preparation. Salts: Classification, Methods of preparation, Types and Characteristics
4. Carbon- Allotropes and their Structures, Properties, Differences between Diamond and Graphite.
5. Carbon (ii) Oxide (CO), Carbon (iv) Oxide (CO2): their Preparation, Properties and Uses.
6. Coal: Types of Coal, Destructive Distillation of Coal, Uses of the Products, Coke: Gasification and Uses.
7. Metallic Carbonate: Occurrences, Preparation and Uses, Test for Trioxocarbonate ion. Trioxocarbonate (iv) acid: Preparation, Properties and Uses.
8-9. Introduction to Hydrocarbons: Sources of Hydrocarbons, Classification of Aliphatic Hydrocarbons. Petroleum and Natural gases: Refining of Petroleum by Fractional Distillation, Uses of different Fractions, Cracking of Petroleum (Thermal and Catalytic), Anti-knock and Octane rating.
10. Applied Chemistry: Raw material used in Chemical industries and their Sources. Division of the Chemical Industries: Heavy chemicals, Fine chemicals, Fertilizers, Plastics, Metallurgy, Pharmaceutical, Glass, Ceramics, Cements, Soap and Detergents.
New School Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by Osei Yaw Ababio
New System Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools by Tan Yan Ton el al
WAEC past Questions and Answers
UTME past Questions and Answers