SS2 English Language Scheme of Work for First, Second and Third Term: These lesson notes cover the following topics.
1. Comprehension:Reading for Main Points
(i) Structure: Revision on Nominalization of Adjectives and Verbs.
(ii) Speech Work: Review of Consonants Followed by /j/ and /u/ Sounds. Summary: Revision of the Features of Summary.
2. (i) Comprehension – Learning about Main Ideas and Supporting Details Unit 1:
Basketball, pg 19
(ii) Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with the Human Body System and Functions
(iii) Speech Work: Cluster of Two, Three and Four Consonants
(iv) Writing (Expository): Meaning, Features and Examples
3. (i) Comprehension: Reading to Follow Writer’s Ideas; Unit 2: Insurance, pg 33
(ii) Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Health e.g. diagnosis, contagious etc.
(iii) Structure: Noun Phrases: Meaning, Identification and Functions
4. Summary (Reading to Summarise): NnamdiAzikwe,pg 26
Vocabulary Development – Words Associated with Building and Building
Writing – (Narrative) Meaning, Features and Examples.
Structure – Relative Pronouns
5. Comprehension Reading For Main Points – 2; Unit 4; Building,pg 66
Speech Work: Unstressed Vowel Sound /ə /
Writing (Argumentative) “Corruption Should be fought from the top to the bottom”
6. Comprehension:Reading to Extract the Main Points from a Passage: Unit 6; On the Road pg 90
Structure: Sentence Types
Speech Work: Stress OfFour Syllable Words
Writing: Descriptive: “Valedictory Ceremony in My School”
7. (i) Comprehension: Reading to Take Notes; Unit 7; Technology, pg 104
Structure: Adverb – Types (Manner, Place, Time, Frequency, Degree etc.)
Summary: Reading to Summarise an Argument
8. Structure: Word Modifiers: Adjectives and Adverbs
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Colours, Smell and Taste
Comprehension (Listening); Unit 8; Uganda’s National Resistance Army, pg 119
Writing: A Report
9. Structure: Plural Forms of Nouns
Speech Work: Stress of Five Syllable Words
Writing – Creative Writing: Features of a Short Story.
Summary Writing – Identifying Topic Sentences: Agriculture; Technical Aid Corps Proposed for Africa.
10. Comprehension: Reading to Paraphrase a Prose Passage; Unit 5; Nazruddin, pg 80
Structure: Phrasal Verbs.
Writing: Features and Format of an Informal Letter.
• Montgomery et al: Effective English for SS 2 ( Main Text) Evans Publishers, Ibadan
• Ogunsanya et al: Countdown to SSCE, Evans Publisher, Ibadan.
• Onuigbo S.M: Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Africana Publishers, Enugu.
• Ayo Banjo et al: New Oxford Secondary English Course SS 2. University Press PLC, Ibadan
• FoluAgoi: Towards Effective Use of English. A grammar of Modern English
• Ayo Akano: Maclimillan Mastery English Language for Senior Secondary Schools, Macmillan Nigeria Publishrs limited, Ibadan
• Ken Mebele et al: Goodbye to Failure in English for Senior Schools, Book 2, Treasure Publishers LTD, Lagos.
• Benson O. A Oluikpe et al: Intensive English for Senior Secondary Schools, 2 Africanal Publishers LTD, Onitsha.
• Oxford, Advanced Learners Dictionary.
• WAEC Past Questions.
1. (i) Revision of Last Term’s Work and Examination Questions
(ii) Structure – Use of Possessive Apostrophe
(iii) Comprehension (Reading to Grasp Main Points): Unit 9; Stock Exchange, Effective English, pg. 134 – 136
Writing (Narrative) “My SS 1 Experience.”
2. Comprehension: (Reading to Grasp Sentence Paragraph Transition): Unit 10 – Nothing Gets Done. Effective English, page 150
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with the Press
Structure: Punctuation Marks (Comma, Semi-colon, Question Mark, Colon)
3. Essay Writing (Formal Letters) Letter of Complaints
Structure – Sentence Types According to Functions
Speech Work – Diphthongs
Summary – How to Answer Summary Questions
4. Essay Writing: (Informal Letters) Letters to a Friend in Another Town.
Speech Work: Diphthongs /ei, ai, au, ᴐi/
Comprehension (Reading for Implied Meaning): unit II – Moral Behaviour, Effective English, page 168
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Environment.
5. Summary Writing: Wole Soyinka, Effective English, pg 158 – 159
Structure: Kinds of Pronouns
Speech Work: Rhyme Scheme
6. Comprehension: (Reading for Critical Evaluation) Communication; Effective English page 181
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Nation Building
Structure: Introduction to Sequence of Tenses
Speech Work: Diphthongs /Iә, eә, әƱ, Ʊә/
7. Structure: More About Phrasal Verbs
Comprehension: unit 12 Advancement in Technology, Effective English, pg 109 – 111
Vocabulary Development: Technology
Speech Work: Comparison of /tᶘ/ and /ᶘ/, /ʤ/ and /ʒ/
8. Essay Writing: Articles
Structure: Active and Passive Structures
Register: Words Associated with Cultural Entertainment
9. Structure: Making Uncountable Nouns Countable
Summary: Writing Answers to Model Summary Passage
Vocabulary Development: Noting Words Commonly Misspelt.
Writing: Writing Semi-Formal Letter.
11. & 12 Examination
1. Montgomery et al: Effective English for SS 2 ( Main Text) Evanz Publishers, Ibadan
2. Ogunsanya et al: Countdown to SSCE, Evans Publisher, Ibadan.
3. Onuigbo S.M: Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Africana Publishers, Enugu.
4. Ayo Banjo et al: New Oxford Secondary English Course SS 2. University Press PLC, Ibadan
5. FoluAgoi: Towards Effective Use of English. A grammar of Modern English
6. Ayo Akano: Maclimillan Mastery English Language for Senior Secondary Schools, Macmillan Nigeria Publishrs limited, Ibadan
7. Ken Mebele et al: Goodbye to Failure in English for Senior Schools, Book 2, Treasure Publishers LTD, Lagos.
8. Benson O. A Oluikpe et al: Intensive English for Senior Secondary Schools, 2 Africanal Publishers LTD, Onitsha.
9. Oxford, Advanced Learners Dictionary.
10. WAEC Past Questions.
1. Revision of the Last Term’s Examination Questions, Resumption Test,
Revision of Tenses in Grammar
Narrative: My Holiday Experience
2. Conditional Clauses; Complex Sentence
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Publishing
Essay Writing: Speech Writing, Meaning and Features
3. Speech Work: Stress Patterns
Structure: Active and Passive Voice
Vocabulary Development: Prefixes
Essay Writing: Article Writing; Explanation and Features
4. Structure: Prepositional Phrase
Vocabulary Development: The Use of Dictionary
Grammar: Rules of Concord
Comprehension: Bullying (pg 84, Countdown English)
5. Speech Work: Stress Placement on Two or More Syllable Words
Essay writing: Story Writing
Comprehension: Reading for the Writer’s purpose
Vocabulary Development: A Manufacturing Industry
6. Summary writing: Agriculture Technical Aid to Africa p.85
Structure: Adjectival Clause
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Films and TV
7. Speech Work: Vowels /I/ & /I:/
Essay Writing: Expository: Raising a Total Child
Comprehension: Reading to Identify Sentence Types in a Passage
8. Vocabulary Development: Hotel & Catering
Summary Writing: Summarising to get Implied Meaning
Structure: Prepositional Phrases
9. Comprehension: African Plucked Lutes
Vocabulary Development: Words Associated with Politics and Government
Writing: Essay Writing; Descriptive Essay: A Festival I Like.
10. Structure: Affixation: Suffixes
Speech Work: Nasal Sounds (/m/ /n/ and //)
Comprehension/Register: Vocabulary Associated with Transportation
11. Structure: Clauses- Subordinate and Insubordinate
Speech work: Stress on the 5th and 6th syllable
Comprehension: Reading for Implied Meaning and Interpreting Examples
1. Montgomery et al: Effective English for S.S 2 (Main Textbook) Evans PublishersIbadan.
2. Ogunsanwo et al: Countdown to SSCE Evans Publishers Ibadan.
3. Onuigbo S.M: Oral English for Schools and Colleges Africana Publishers,Enugu.
4. Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 5.WAEC Past Questions.