JSS2 English Language Scheme of Work for First Term: This lesson note covers the following topics.
1. Speechwork: Revision of Vowel Sounds
Grammar: Revision of Parts of Speech
Reading: Writing to Understand the Writer’s Purpose Unit 1, The Hippopotamus Part 1
Writing: Writing an Outline for a Narrative
Essay – How I spent My Last Holiday
Literature in English: Figures of Speech: Alliteration, Personification, Irony, Paradox, Hyperbole
2. Speechwork: Revision of Consonant Sounds with Emphasis on Consonant Cluster.
Grammar: Transitive and Intransitive Verbs
Reading: The Hippopotamus part 2 (continuation)
Writing: Descriptive Essay: Writing an Outline on a Place of Interest I visited.
3. Speechwork: Vowel Contrast – /iә/ and /eә/.
Grammar: More on Active Voice and Passive Voice.
Reading: Identification of Words that Pointto the Writer’s Intention: The Process of Growing Rice
Vocabulary Development: Word Families – In the Hospital page 93
Writing: Elements of Composition
4. Speechwork: Vowel Contrast /әu/ and /au/
Grammar: More on Tenses (Present, Past, Future)
Reading: Critical Reading: Planting page 39-40
Vocabulary Development: The Armed Forces
Writing: Descriptive Essay – A Local Festival
5. Speechwork: Review of Consonant Sounds /t/,/d/,/k/,/g/,/p/,/ b/.
Grammar: Present Tense Aspects
Reading: To Identify the Meanings of Words in Various Contexts: Broadcasting Page 53-54
Vocabulary Development: Religion
Writing: Review of the Format of Formal and Informal Letters
6. Speechwork: Contrasting /p/ and /t/
Grammar: Past Tense Aspects
Reading: The Lorry Trip page 79-80
Vocabulary Development; Register of Sports.
Writing: Narrative Essay: A Frightening Experience
7. Speechwork: Consonant Contrast /f/ and /v/
Reading: Okonkwo page 92-93
Vocabulary Development: Journalism
Writing: Informal Letter: A Letter to Your Father on Why You Like Your New School.
Literature: More on Figures of Speech: Onomatopoeia, Personification, Antithesis, Euphemism, Apostrophe, Oxymoron.
8. Speechwork: Consonant Contrast: /l/ and /r/
Grammar: Making Requests and Commands page 94
Writing: Descriptive Essay: My Favourite Teacher
9. Speechwork: Consonant /h/
Direct and Indirect Speech
Writing: Formal Letter: A Letter of Invitation
1. Oral English for Schools and Colleges (Revised Edition) by San Onugbo, M.A. Ife
2. Basic English Book 4 HarbensKaur
3. Silver Burdett English Centennial Edition by Betty G. Gray et al
4. Contemporary English Grammar by JayanthuDakshina Murthy, ed by Indu mala Ghosh et al.
5. Exam Focus English for JSCE by Bolajiaremo et al.
6. Evans Effective English JSS 2 Revised Edition by Michael Montgomery et al.
7. New Oxford Secondary English Corse book for JS 2 by Ayo Banjo et al.
8. New Student’s Companioned by Chris Talbot.