SS2 Geography Scheme of Work for First, Second and Third Term: These lesson notes cover the following topics.
1&2 REVISION/ACTION OF RUNNING WATER
3 ACTION OF WIND
4 ACTION OF GLACIER
5 ACTION OF WAVE
7 CLASSIFICATION OF CLIMATE
8 ENVIRONMENTAL RESOURCES
9 RENEWABLE AND NON-RENEWABLE RESOURCES
10 ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS
• Essential Geography for Senior Secondary Schools, O.A. Iwena.
1. Environmental Resources: (a) Meaning of environmental resources. (b) Types of environmental resources: (i) Atmospheric resources (ii) Water resources (iii) Vegetation resources (iv) Mineral resources (v) Land resources (vi) Human resources (c) Importance of environmental resources.
2. Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources: (a) Meaning and examples of renewable and non-renewable resources (b) Advantages and disadvantages of renewable and non-renewable resources.
3&4. Environmental Problems: (a) Meaning and types of environmental problems/hazards (b) Causes of environmental problems (c) Effects of environmental problems on human activities (d) Solutions to environmental problems.
5. Environmental Conservation: (a) Meaning of environmental conservation. (b) Environmental conservation methods: (i) Afforestation and re-afforestation. (ii) Cover cropping (iii) Improved farming techniques. (iv) Environmental education. (v) Recycling (vi) Legislation on waste disposal (c) Importance of environmental conservation.
THEME: REGIONAL GEOGRAPHY OF NIGERIA
6. Agriculture in Nigeria: (a) Types of Agricultural practices: (i) Subsistence farming (ii) Mechanized farming (iii) Pastoral farming (iv) Crop rotation (v) Mixed farming (vi) Shifting cultivation and the fallow system of farming (b) Food and cash crops of Nigeria (c) Importance of Agriculture (d) Problems of Agriculture in Nigeria (e) Suggested Solution to problems of Agriculture in Nigeria.
7. MID – TERM BREAK
8. Transportation in Nigeria: (a) Modes of transportation in Nigeria; (i) Road (ii) Rail (iii) Water (iv) Air (v) Pipeline (vi) Aerial ropeways (vii) Human and Animal Porterage. (b) Advantages and Disadvantages of different transportation modes. (c) Problems of transportation (d) Influence of transportation on human activities.
9. Communication in Nigeria: (a) Communication Networks (i) Tele-communication (e.g. telephone services, cellular phones, voice mails, etc.) (ii) Postal Services (iii) Television (iv) Radio (v) Newspapers (vi) Internet, etc. (b) Advantages and disadvantages of the different communication networks (c) (i) Problems of communication in Nigeria (ii) Suggested Solutions to communication problems in Nigeria. (d) Importance of Communication on human activities.
10. Manufacturing Industries in Nigeria: (a) Definition of Industry (b) Types of industry: (i) Primary (ii) Secondary (iii) Tertiary (iv) Quaternary (c) Major industrial zones in Nigeria (d) Factors affecting location of industries (e) Problems and solutions (f) Importance of Manufacturing Industries in Nigeria.
11. Commercial Activities in Nigeria: (a) Major commercial activities: (i) Trade – local, national, international. (ii) Stock exchange (iii) Capital market (iv) FOREX (v) Transportation (vi) Communication. (b) Major commercial areas in Nigeria. (c) Importance of commercial activities in Nigeria.
12. Revision and Examination.
1. Revision / Environmental Conservation
2. Transportation in Nigeria
3 – 4. Manufacturing Industries in Nigeia
5. Commercial Activities in Nigeria
6. Representation of Relief Landforms
7 – 8. World Population
9 – 10. Settlement
Essential Geography for Senior Secondary Schools, O.A. Iwena.