SS1 Government Scheme of Work for First, Second and Third Term: These lesson notes cover the following topics.
1. The Meaning and the Scope of the Subject Matter: Government
i) Government as an Institution of the State
ii) Government as an Art of Governing
iii) Government as an Academic Field of Study
2. Features/Characteristics of government;
i) Features of Government
ii) Functions of Government
iii) Why we Study Government
3. Basic Concepts of Government:
4. i) Legitimacy ii) Sovereignty iii) Democracy
5. i) Communalism ii) Feudalism
6. i) Socialism (ii) Communism (iii) Capitalism
7. i) Fascism ii) Nazism iii) Totalitarianism
8. State and Nation; Political Culture
9. Political Socialization
10. Characteristics of government: (i) Unitary government (ii) Federal government.
1. TYPES AND CHARACTERISTICS OF GOVERNMENT: Presidential System of Government; Parliamentary System of Government.
3. Monarchy- Definition, Forms, Merits and Demerits, Features: Republican Government-Meaning, Features: Military Government- Features, Reasons for Military Intervention, Differences Between Republican and Monarchy.
4. Constitution: Definition, Sources, Features, Types: Written, Unwritten, Rigid, Flexible, Unitary, Federal and Confederal with Merits and Demerits of Each Type.
5. Structure and Organization of Government: Legislature; Meaning, Functions, Types, Merits and Demerits of Each Type, the Concept of Parliamentary Supremacy and Its Limitations; Bills- Meaning, Types, Procedure on How Bills Become Law.
6. Executive- Meaning, Functions and Types
Judiciary- Meaning, Functions and Independence of the Judiciary
7. Basic Principles of Government: Rule of Law; Definition, Principles, Limitations to Its Application, Factors that Ensure Its Operation.
8. Separation of Powers- Meaning, Merits and Demerits, Its Operation in Presidential and Parliamentary systems of government; Checks and balances- meaning , merits and demerits.
9. Representative Government- Definition, Features, Conditions for Its Establishment, Merits and Demerits; Political Participation- Meaning, Forms, Purposes, Factors Affecting Political Participation.
10. Centralization- Meaning, Reasons for Its Adoption, Merits and Demerits; Decentralization- Merits, Types, Merits and Demerits.
11. Delegated Legislation- Definition, Type’s Reasons for Delegated Legislation, Demerits, Control of Delegated Legislation.
1. I ) Revision and Political participation:
– Meaning, forms, purpose, factors affecting
II) Centralization and decentralization:
– Reasons for its adoption, types, merits and
2. Delegated Legislation:
– Definition, types and reasons
3. Delegated legislation:
– Merits and demerits; control of delegated legislation.
– Meaning, ways of acquiring Citizenship
5 & 6 Citizenship:
– ways of losing citizenship;
– Rights of a citizen: meaning, duties and
Obligation of a citizen in a state.
– Ways of safeguarding citizens’ rights
– Limitations to a citizen’s rights.
– Difference between a citizen and non-citizen
7 political parties :
– Definition, types, features, functions.
– party manifestoes and its importance
8 Party system :
– Definition, types, merits and demerits.
9 Pressure groups:
– Meaning, types, functions, factors that can aid its effective operations.
– Mode of its operation
10 Factors working against the success of
ii) Danger posed by its activities
iii) Comparison between pressure group and
12 & 13 Examination