SS1 Government Scheme of Work for Second Term: This lesson note covers the following topics.
1. TYPES AND CHARACTERISTICS OF GOVERNMENT: Presidential System of Government; Parliamentary System of Government.
3. Monarchy- Definition, Forms, Merits and Demerits, Features: Republican Government-Meaning, Features: Military Government- Features, Reasons for Military Intervention, Differences Between Republican and Monarchy.
4. Constitution: Definition, Sources, Features, Types: Written, Unwritten, Rigid, Flexible, Unitary, Federal and Confederal with Merits and Demerits of Each Type.
5. Structure and Organization of Government: Legislature; Meaning, Functions, Types, Merits and Demerits of Each Type, the Concept of Parliamentary Supremacy and Its Limitations; Bills- Meaning, Types, Procedure on How Bills Become Law.
6. Executive- Meaning, Functions and Types
Judiciary- Meaning, Functions and Independence of the Judiciary
7. Basic Principles of Government: Rule of Law; Definition, Principles, Limitations to Its Application, Factors that Ensure Its Operation.
8. Separation of Powers- Meaning, Merits and Demerits, Its Operation in Presidential and Parliamentary systems of government; Checks and balances- meaning , merits and demerits.
9. Representative Government- Definition, Features, Conditions for Its Establishment, Merits and Demerits; Political Participation- Meaning, Forms, Purposes, Factors Affecting Political Participation.
10. Centralization- Meaning, Reasons for Its Adoption, Merits and Demerits; Decentralization- Merits, Types, Merits and Demerits.
11. Delegated Legislation- Definition, Type’s Reasons for Delegated Legislation, Demerits, Control of Delegated Legislation.