SS2 Government Scheme of Work for First Term: This lesson note covers the following topics.
1. Elections: Meaning, Functions, Demerits and Types of Elections, Merits and Demerits of Types
2. Types of Voting- Merits and Demerits of each Type of Voting- Free and Fair Election- Meaning, Conditions Necessary for the Conduct of a Free and Fair Elections
3. Electoral Commission- Meaning Features and Functions.
4. Public Administration- The Civil Service: Meaning, Features, Structures/Classes, Functions, Problems and Control: The Civil Service Commission- Meaning, Functions, Ombudsman, Meaning and Functions
5. Public Corporation- Meaning, Characteristics, Reasons for Setting up Public Corporations, Functions, Organizational Structure, Differences between Public and Civil Service, Control of Public Corporation.
6. Local Government: Definition, Powers and Functions, Reasons for the Creation of Local Government, Control of Local Government, Control, Problems and Suggested Solutions to Problems of Local Government.
7. Pre-Colonial Political System in Nigeria; Hausa/Fulani Political System, Igbo Political System.
8. Pre-Colonial Political System: Yoruba Political System- Pre-colonial Political Institutions with their Functions-Traditional Rulers, Council of Elders, Secret Societies, Age Grade etc.
9. Colonial Administration: Historical background, Meaning, Reasons, Features and Classification.
10. British Colonial Policy: Indirect Rule System-North, West and East- Merits and Demerits of Indirect Rule.
11. French Colonial Policy: Historical Background- French Colonial Policies-Assimilation and Association- Features and Reasons for the Failure of Assimilation-Compare British and French Colonial Policies.